Friday, April 2, 2010

Happiness @Rs 10

I learnt another wonderful tactics of being happy. Just wanted to share it with you. It costs only Rs 10 per day.

"Your happiness is directly proportional to the number of people whom you can make happy". If you make five people happy, then your own happiness will be the total sum of happiness of all five.

That afternoon of Good Friday, I went to my friend's place to help him in shifting to new house. It must be around 2 PM then. I was standing near the parking place. Suddenly a rickshaw wala came nearby, pulling a bulky aunty and her healthy son. I could see his face and feel how difficult it had been for him pulling these two together and that too in such scorching heat at daytime in delhi summers.
Reaching the destination, he was waiting for his reward money for the effort that he has put up in pulling them. The lady opened up her purse and gave him Rs 20/-. He pleaded that " mem sahib, it is 15Rs per person pulling from that place. So no less that 30 will go".
In reply to this, The lady Said, " Oye ! 20 is fine. Take it or you will not get even this much. Got down and started walking with prestige as if she had won the World Cup of bargaining".
He must be thinking, " Why do these rich pleople always remain so poor".

As I could not hold myself so I called him up " Bhaiya Ji, Idhar aayenge zara". I gave him Rs 10 from my purse. And asked him that " Now that you have got your Rs 30. Hope you are happy. He was surprised at this very act. He was wondering why I am bothered for his happiness.
I was smiling from inside that he dont know but I was rather bothered about my own happiness than his. Thats why I did that. How could I feel happy till someone else is feeling sad in front of me. And if I am then I don't consider myself a human.

And I came back home happily n more happily with the satisfaction of 'Performing today's good deed". It just costed me Rs 10, And in return I got a satisfaction, a happiness, and something priceless- A blessing.

At that moment I decided to do something like this every day, Finally it would cost me Rs 300/Month ( Just 0.6% of my monthly salary). In return will bring me so many priceless things.

"Not a bad deal at all man. Go for it", I said to myself.

I think such an act requires one to feel the abundance of resources(money in this case) which one got because of God's grace.
That landlady must be having crores of rupees in her account but still could not feel the abundance. She still could cheat someone merely for ten rupees. She never realize that this Rs 10 won't make much difference to her Crores. But counts a lot for someone whose family's that day meal could be affected because of this Rs 10.
I wonder why do people accumulate so much wealth if they don't want to feel how much they have. They keep on accumulating and accumulating and finally leave this world empty handed without even realizing and enjoying the abundance of it.

Thats why I always beg from my God that if you give me so much of resources, then also give me the courage to feel the abundance of those.
I must tell you that one only need a breath and food to keep alive, rest all should be considered as abundance and should be reason for your 'Happiness

25 comments:

Sharoon Padmanabhan said...

Awesome paaaji

Ankit Singhal said...

Indeed a good deed!!! Setting examples for others is the best way to motivate people around you.

Shobhit Bajaj said...

Great Job Dhami !! That day u made somebody else happy as well and god gave u a perfect gift that day itself !!!

Nalin Chakoo said...

Good.

Ashish said...

good job dhami..
tera reward tujhe agle mahine milega.

atul said...

Super awesome bro...!!! Now dint that make us realize how privileged we are and what we can do for the society!!! That is just a start and the best part is that, now you have one(the start)!!! Superb!!!!

Ravinder said...

well done bro..keep up the good spirit..iam glad u gave up the guy ur entire MBO :-)

NEERAJ SINGH said...

Awesome ,
great work,
Very motivating.

jaigurudev said...

paaji masst hai !!!!
too good ...
u hv got the secret !!!
cheers!!!

lucky said...

Good job dhami ji :)
Very rightly said happiness & satisfaction which you feel by bringing a smile on someone's face is priceless ...

Sudhanshu said...

Gr8 Man.. A very noble !dea.
This !dea can change life of many people.

Karandeep said...

There are something which money cannot buy.

Abhi said...

You have shown my frnd Happiness comes from heart n the thing that
comes from heart is certainly lot
valuable than what you have in the
real world like money or so..
I might sound confusing but all n all brilliant...

Jagmohan Singh said...

The best part is you could feel the feelings of that rickshaw-puller. Perfect example of an act to heal the agony of someone.

Good job. Keep writing.

Gurpreet Dhami said...

So good feedback... I am very happy to get so much love from you guys. thanks for everything..

Gagan said...

Oh Balle Shah ji tusi ta wat kad te..

Honey said...

Good job..Its really true that Rs.10 does not matter to us but it matters a lot to rickshaw walla for his family meals. If one day everybody starts helping others, this world will be really great place to live in.
God bless you for your nice thoughts & helpful nature !

gloBruSh said...

Even my husband says that people don't mind spending Rs 100/- on a CCD coffee but giving an extra 10 rupees to the rickshaw walla always pinches their pocket, such is the irony of life.

nimisha said...

Its really gr8 to know that finally u got d mantra to live a happy life nd to be in guruji's heart..........

Sumit Bansal said...

W:)w...what a way to enlighten your day with happiness and others as well.. God bless you.... :)

Varun said...

g8 job dhami veer.good initiative to remind people that real happiness can only be achieved by giving happiness to others.

Unknown said...

Good hai 22ji :)

XENIA MEHTA said...

aweesome...
i loved it....

Unknown said...

Wo aunty kaun thi?

:) :p


accha laga hoga un rickshaw wale uncle ko.

Moti aunty Rs 10 se ghar bana lengi ek aur isliye nahi diye unhone...

it is rightly said that happiness comes in small packages @ Rs 10 :)

Anonymous said...

Well Done ! This is called Empathy, feeling some other's feelings as if one were on the other one's shoes. Real happiness lies there when one touches heart of other and feel the pain and then soothes it, but not the one who only sympathises other's pain and walks away.

-Jagannath Nayak